Monday, March 12, 2012

Ellen And Her Lucky (J.C.) Penney

HELLO PEOPLE! It's been a long month, and there's a lot that has happened, so let's jump right back into it and talk about some Gay. Ad. Ver. Ti. SING, shall we?

Let me start off by painting a picture for you. There I am, laying in bed...in my underwear...waiting for something special. Intrigued? You'll have to read on for more.

So unless you've been living in a cocoon reading the dictionary for the past month, you have probably seen all this hoopla-whatnot shenanigans with Ellen DeGeneres, J.C. Penney, and a "million" not-so-happy mothers.

OneMillionMoms, an oh-so-fun group that is determined to censor everything because they are "tired of all the negative influences our children are forced to contend with," came out in the beginning of February against J.C. Penney's decision to have Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson. Because Ellen is gay and OneMillionMoms, well, doesn't swing that way, they tried to get J.C. Penney to fire her because the entire world would explode if their children saw her in their ads. However, J.C. Penney did not back down, and fought back in support of their new spokesperson. Let's take a little journey as to what happened, shall we?

January 25th - Ellen announces partnership with J.C. Penney. Wurk.




February 1st - OneMillionMoms sends out message to boycott J.C. Penney for their decision, saying most of their customers are "traditional" and won't shop there anymore. Mmmmhmmm...
February 7th - Ellen brilliantly addresses the situation on her show.




February 9th - J.C. Penney CEO Ron Johnson goes on CBS This Morning, stating they don't "really look at it as a controversy" and that they "stand squarely" behind Ellen.




Okay, back to me in my underwear. I'm going to add that I was in my bed in a hotel room, with a large Domino's pizza, a 20-ounce Coke, and two delicious lava brownie cake thingies. As I was stuffing my face, I was waiting to watch the Academy Awards (which is my Super Bowl. If you talk while I'm watching, I will react...) but I was also excited to FINALLY see these J.C. Penney ads that were about to premiere. Lying in my food coma, I caught all four of them. Here they are below:










Overall, I was very pleased with these. I think they used Ellen exactly as they should have...as Ellen. She was her kooky, fun self and delivered J.C. Penney's new message in a way that spans across many markets. At first I thought they felt like a few Target ads I've seen (which isn't a surprise since Ron Johnson used to work there) but after watching them a few times, they stand on their own. 

I think the best thing about this whole situation is the amount of support Ellen from J.C. Penny got from the American public. Yes, she's gay, but this goes to show that people are looking beyond that and, quite frankly, don't really care. Before J.C. Penny, she was in commercials for CoverGirl and American Express, and no one seemed to mind then, so why should they care now? Fun fact that J.C. Penney actually pulled their ads from Ellen's sitcom when she originally came out in 1997, but all of this support just shows how dedicated they are to finally move in the right direction, which is wonderful. Even uber-conservative Bill O'Rilley came out in her defense, calling the boycott a "witch hunt" and "not the spirit of America." I mean, these are some amazing signs of improvement from some unexpected places that I hopefully will help with LGBT equality in advertising in the future. 

Oh, and OneMillionMoms? On Thursday, they announced they are stopping their efforts to have Ellen fired because "other issues" require their attention. Cool, see ya, BYYYYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment