Thursday, October 27, 2011

Absolut-ely Fabulous

Okay people, I have another entry about vodka. I know, I'm feeling a little buzzed too, but bare with me, it's worth it.

My friends Amanda and Heather sent me this wonderful article The New York Times published yesterday that talks all about Absolut Vodka and their advertising/marketing towards the gay community. This is a must-read to catch you up on the history of their involvement with the LGBT community. But, the most exciting thing about this article is that Absolut will be releasing a new campaign to celebrate their 30 YEARS of advertising/marketing to the LGBT community! Not only that, but we get a first glimpse of an AMAZING print ad from the campaign:
Did your heart explode? No? Did you just glance at it? Okay I'll give you another chance to really look at it. Let's just post it again so you can save your mouse from moving back up...
Ob.Sessed. That's all I'm saying. I mean, just looking at this gives me chills. I think the art direction and what photographer David LaChapelle did is borderline genius. From the subjects photographed (i.e. Amanda Lepore, unicorns, you know, the usual) to the placement of everything, to the all around fabulousness of this (yes, that really is the only word to describe this) it comes together to create one breathtaking image. It's a perfect example of and ad where you can be walking down the street, quickly see it on the side of some phone booth, and just get the feeling their going for instantly. One big ol' gay celebration of living life and having fun, out and proud! And unlike other Absolute ads that just feature the bottle in different settings, this gives you so much to look at while at the same time making you beg for more. Did I mention I like the art direction in this ad?

I really love the copy as well. The "Absolut OUTrageous" line is very similar to other Absolut ads, however the line "Celebrating 30 years of going out and coming out" just is the icing on the cake. Sums up the brands history with the LGBT community, ties the product in, and celebrates this amazing culture we have.

To me, THIS is what I think LGBT ads should be like. It's very obvious that the company took a lot of time and thought to create something very creative, and in turn it shows that they really do care about their LGBT market. I am so excited to see the rest of this campaign, and will fo sho update you all as soon as it's out.

Absolut has pretty much become a staple in this small gay advertising world. They started in 1981, which at that time was thought of as an enormous risk for a mainstream company. But, peeps knew what they were doing, didn't really give a crap what other people thought, and now their LGBT ads are iconic.

If you're unfamiliar with their previous ads, here are a few examples, thanks to Commercial Closet. Fun thing to note: the last TV ad, part of a series of ads featuring RuPaul's Drag Race contestants, was just honored at GLAAD's 2011 Amplifier Awards:


 




So now that I've gushed about this, what are YOUR feelings? Do you think Absolut is going in the right direction with their new campaign? Are you curious to see what's to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment