Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vodka Soaked PUN-kins for Halloween!

Ah Halloween...one of the greatest holidays in NYC where all the citizens of the land have an excuse to drink rum with a splash of apple cider while dressed as "scantily clad" versions of their favorite 1980's cartoon characters...AND for some gay-themed ads! Who knew?!

On Saturday, I was making bi-weekly trip to my boyfriend Trader Joe's house to pick up some gourmet-for-broke-people food (Side note: Go on a Saturday during the day. It's dead and the shelves are P-P-P-PACKED! Mama's now got enough frozen pesto pizzas to hibernate until June 2013) Anyway, right as I was about to walk in I found this ad below:
Hey Rokk Vodka! As you can see, this ad is to promote their orange flavored vodka for the Halloween season. Before we talk about this ad, we should note that for the past year Rokk has had a partnership with GLAAD, creating ads that promote both products at the same time. The one below is their main ad that also won a GLAAD Amplifier Award (obvi):
And here's a window display I found at a local liquor store in the West Village :
So now that we have that little tidbit of history, let's talk about the halloween ad. Here's the thing, mama loves a good pun (example: the title of this blog), but this ad just seems a little too puny. "Orange you GLAAD it's Halloween?" Eh? EH? Get it? Like, okay, whoa, slow down partner...

I think if a pun is done well, it can work and be creative. But I also think some advertisements in general take the easy way out with puns, and I don't think this ad is any different. Their previous headline "Filtering Out Inequality" I really enjoyed. Relates to the product as well as the cause...wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Not saying the Halloween ad doesn't, but it just seems a little obvious to me. What I do like about this ad are the rainbow rays behind each flavored bottle, which this is the first time I've seen Rokk do in their ads. Cool way to show the flavors while mixing in the rainbow/"we're here for the gays" theme.

Regardless of this wah-wah headline, I think it's great to partner with GLAAD and cross promote with these ads. Not only is it loud and proud about promoting to gays, but they're getting the word about GLAAD out there that GLAAD might not be able to do otherwise. Before, I questioned if their ads were just going for the gay dollar...BUUUUT with this ad they have a QR code to their Facebook page. If you like it, they'll donate a dollar to the GLAAD! Damn, okay Rokk, way to be!

So what does everyone think? Do you think their headline for the Halloween ad is cute or a little easy? Are you GLAAD they did it? (Sorry, I had to go with the theme) What do you think about the other ads?

And if you haven't seen this SNL skit about Sex And The City and puns, it's very fitting this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment